We have received occasional reports from people trying to install Putler desktop application getting an error stating “Sorry, an error has occurred. The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged. Try obtaining a new installer file from the application author.” Unfortunately, the error text is quite misleading – getting this error almost never means the file is actually damaged.
We have figured out some possible reasons for this error popping up. Here are they,
- Application or its folder/files still exist in the system.
- Computer’s system clock is incorrect.
- Multiples installations/instances of Adobe AIR Runtime.
- Adobe AIR is not updated.
- Antivirus is blocking the installer file.
You can download the latest version of Putler from here – Putler Installer
To fix this error, follow the steps below in the same order.
1. Application or its folder/files still exist in the system.
Sometimes it is possible that the application is not properly uninstalled. Or the Application’s folder or files still exist in the system.
- Uninstall the application if it is already installed on your system. Go Applications(on Mac OS) and Programs(on Windows) and uninstall Putler.
- Make sure the application folder “Putler” does not exist (in Windows, for example, c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86) OR in Mac OS, in the Applications folder). If it does exist, delete it or rename it.
- Empty the Trash (Mac OS) or Recycle Bin (Windows).
2. Computer’s system clock is incorrect.
Many a times we fail to notice that our computer’s system date/time is not set properly. Having a system date/time too far in the past or future can trigger this error.
- Check that your computer’s system clock is correct.
- Correct the date/time if its not set to current date/time.
3. Multiples installations/instances of Adobe AIR Runtime.
Maintaining multiple instances of Adobe AIR on your system could be a cause for this error.
- Check you if have multiple instances(previous installations) of Adobe AIR runtime on your system.
- Go to Applications(on Mac OS) or Add/Remove Programs(on Windows) and remove/uninstall previous instances of Adobe AIR if any.
4. Adobe AIR Runtime is not updated.
Adobe very often releases updates for Adobe AIR Runtime. So there may be a possibility that you have not updated Adobe AIR Runtime to the latest version.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe AIR runtime.
- If not, install the latest version from here: Adobe AIR
5. Antivirus is blocking the installer file.
It is also possible that the antivirus blocks some installer files (EXE’s and AIR), and that could be one of the reason for the “Installer file is damaged” error message.
- Go to your Antivirus’s Settings panel.
- Temporarily disable the antivirus for a few minutes.
- Install Putler by running the installer file. It should not show you the error message now.
- Once Putler is installed, enable the Antivrus.
Once you are done with all the steps, try installing the latest version of Putler from here – Putler Installer
If that still doesn’t work, download Putler’s installer file. Copy the installer(AIR) file to C:\Program Files\Adobe\ and then try installing it from there.
If none of these work for you, feel free to contact us.
If you have any details you might think would help us figure out what is going wrong. Or, if you find another solution, please let us know and we’ll add it so other users don’t have to go through the same trouble in the future.